Construction of RAF Woodsford in Dorset began in 1936 converting it from a Gunnery School. Renamed, RAF Warmwell, the station played an important part in the Battle of Britain, particularly in the defence of the Portland Naval Base. The revised version of “Reflections of RAF Warmwell” is now available with expanded sections, 3 new chapters and an additional enlarged section on the occupation of the base by the American Air Force. RAF Warmwell was renamed Station 454, USAAF Moreton until it was handed back to the RAF after D Day on 5th August 1944
Email contact from Bruno Renoult
“We are going to excavate the FW 190 crash of Josef wendl KIA on the 18.07.44 at BonniC (res sur Seine.
best regards Bruno Renoult”
The History of Dorset’s only RAF Fighter base during the Battle of Britain – with memories of those who served and those who lived in and around the base.
The aim of this website is to make the presence of this excellent publication known to as many people as possible. The book contains innumerable memories and reminiscences from people who were involved with and living near the Dorset RAF Warmwell Air Station.
Crossways is a new village on the Wareham side of Dorchester. The village, prior to the 1930’s, was a small hamlet with a cluster of small farms and cottages.
The Air Ministry acquired the local heath and farmland to build an airfield. This was completed in 1937 and was known as RAF Woodsford although it was renamed RAF Warmwell a year later. It played an important part in World War 2 being a major fighter base during the Battle of Britain and offering fighter protection for Portland Naval Base and other important south coast areas.
In the years following the closure of the airfield in 1946 the runways and operational areas disappeared as a result of the extraction of valuable sand and gravel by various mineral companies.